202 East Earll Drive, Suite 490, Phoenix, Arizona 85012

Education Law

Phoenix Education Lawyer Represents Students Hurt at School and Children with Special Needs

Arizona law firm helps those who have been hurt by a school’s negligence or policies

Parents expect schools to be safe places where their children go to learn free from danger or discrimination. Unfortunately, sometimes children are hurt due to the negligence of a teacher, bus driver or school district. In other cases, students suffer harassment or discrimination that has no place in a school. If your child has been hurt at school or on a bus, or if your child is not receiving appropriate accommodations for their disabilities, the Law Office of Barry E. Lewin, P.C. is here to help you protect your child.

Getting justice for students injured on a bus or in school

From the time your child boards a bus in the morning to the minute they arrive home, the school day is rife with potentially-dangerous situations. If your child is hurt due to the negligence of a teacher, administrator or school employee, it may be possible to hold the school liable for that negligence. If your child has been hurt on a bus, or even on the way home from a bus stop, the school district may be responsible. Claims against public schools work differently from other types of lawsuits. A “notice of claim” must be filed before a claim can be made against a public entity like a town or school board. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible because school negligence claims must be filed much more quickly than typical personal injury suits.

Protecting your children from discrimination at school

Federal law provides strong protections for children with physical or mental disabilities. Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, all public elementary and secondary schools must provide education and accommodations to disabled students. Specifically, the Act bars any school or program which receives federal assistance from excluding any student from participation or the benefits of that program, solely because they are disabled. Each district must provide free and appropriate public education (FAPE) to each student, no matter how serious their disability. Mr. Lewin will represent your interests to make sure your child’s school complies.

Most students who are protected under Section 504 are able to spend the day in a general education classroom with the help of proper aids or services. If your child’s needs are not being met or if you feel a school is incorrectly treating your child as disabled, we will help you file a claim with the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) and provide representation in any hearings.

Ensuring your children receive the special education they need

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) provides funding to each state’s special education programs. In order to receive that funding, the state must make sure schools meet many conditions, including that schools create an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for each student who needs it. Arizona has special guidelines for developing this personalized document. IDEA typically only covers students who have an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. If your child needs special instruction or care and their school doesn’t want to provide it, our firm will help you prove that your child is covered by IDEA.

Call an attorney who stands up to school districts

If your child has been hurt at school or you find yourself in a dispute over your child’s education or care, the Law Office of Barry E. Lewin, P.C. can help. Mr. Lewin pays meticulous attention to detail in examining the facts of an accident or injury and does not back down in fights against school systems. When teachers or administrators want to sweep your child’s problem under the rug, we will be there to help your family get justice and peace of mind. Contact us online or call us now at 602-325-1141 to arrange an initial consultation.

Quick Contact Form

Contact Our Firm

Please fill out the form below to have someone from the firm contact you.

Quick Contact Form