Phoenix Medical Malpractice Attorney Holds Doctors Accountable
Helping families hurt by doctor’s mistakes and hospital negligence
No one wants to think that their doctor makes mistakes, but according to the Journal of Patient Safety, somewhere around 400,000 people are killed each year in the United States due to mistakes made in hospitals. It is estimated that millions of Americans suffer some type of serious injury due to error or negligence in hospitals each year. Many more are harmed by negligent doctors outside of hospitals. The medical field is complex and there are endless opportunities for mistakes that can cause you harm. If you or a family member has been hurt due to the mistake or negligence of a Phoenix medical professional or facility, the Law Office of Barry E. Lewin, P.C. is here to help.
Providing relief for patients injured by doctor malpractice
The law holds doctors to a higher standard than the average person. Typically a doctor or health professional will need to perform their duties at a level that a reasonably competent and skilled professional in their community would have provided. In many cases, experts will need to testify to help determine what the doctor did and what the doctor should have done. We will work with you and medical experts to prove to a court that a doctor did not meet the standard of care that he or she owed to you and was therefore negligent. Some of the most common forms of negligence by Arizona doctors include:
- Misdiagnosis: Doctors frequently fail to diagnose serious conditions or misdiagnose those conditions. This leads to a delay in receiving necessary care. In some cases, a wrong diagnosis results in unnecessary treatment or surgery.
- Medication mistakes: Doctors, nurses, pharmacists and technicians all make mistakes reading charts or labels and writing instructions or prescriptions. This leads to patients receiving the wrong treatment, the wrong medication or the wrong dosage. Prescription mistakes are responsible for many deaths and serious injuries.
- Surgical mistakes: Surgeons are highly trained, but they still make mistakes. So do their assistants. Common mistakes include performing the wrong operation and leaving foreign objects inside a patient’s body unintentionally.
- Errors in treatment: Sometimes doctors are just wrong. They can make poor choices about the best way to treat a patient or fail to recognize and treat complications of surgery.
- Birth injuries: Sadly, many infants are killed or permanently disabled because of mistakes and negligence that happen during pregnancy or birth. Our firm is there to help children who have sustained a brain injury during birth and families who have suffered this type of preventable tragedy.
When a doctor makes a mistake that causes an injury or death, they should be brought to justice. Holding doctors liable for injuries forces them to be more careful and helps protect future patients. Our firm is committed to helping victims of medical malpractice get financial compensation for their medical costs, as well as their pain and suffering.
Holding hospitals accountable for their negligence
Doctors aren’t the only ones who injure patients. Mistakes and negligence by Phoenix hospital administrators and staff can be dangerous or fatal. Hospitals are legally responsible for negligence in hiring, training and supervising their medical and nursing staff. In some cases, medical facilities can be made to compensate patients when they fail to provide enough nurses or fail to monitor patients in their care. Communication errors between providers can lead to treatment mistakes. Hospitals must also take care to keep medical machinery in safe, working order. When hospitals don’t provide the care necessary to keep patients safe, our firm is on your side, helping you get justice.
Call an accomplished attorney for help getting justice in medical malpractice cases
All types of doctors can make serious mistakes. Cardiologists, radiologists, neurosurgeons and family practice doctors can all make errors that put their patients’ lives at risk. If you or your family has been hurt by the actions of a doctor or the negligence of a hospital, the Law Office of Barry E. Lewin, P.C. can help. With more than three decades of experience as a trial lawyer, Barry E. Lewin is willing to take doctors and hospitals to court to get you the financial compensation you are entitled to under the law. Contact us today online or call us at 602-325-1141 to schedule a consultation.